Monday, March 3, 2008

Breakdown of the 2008 360Flex Atlanta Conference

The conference was incredible.

Summary: Flex 3 and Air 1 were released, Cairngorm still rocks!, had a lot of good conversations about Flex development.

I think most people involved with Flex development already knew that Flex 3 and Air would be released during the conference. I had known for a month. Of the new Flex 3 features, my favorites are refactoring, memory profiling and the AdvancedDataGrid.

One of the main reasons I went to the conference was to talk with other developers that are using Flex. I asked quite a few of them what they thought of Cairngorm. I was shocked to learn recently that not everyone is as excited about Cairngorm as I am and I wanted to ask developers at the conference what they thought. Basically I found that most of the developers had issues but not enough to make them stop using Cairngorm. The main complaint is that Cairngorm requires you to setup an event for each command. I've never seen that as a big deal.

The main "competitor" of Cairngorm is PureMVC. I talked to one developer about PureMVC and he explained that PureMVC does not allow binding model data to a view, service locator, etc... I see this as a big disadvantage. DataBinding is great and I can't imagine doing without it.

My favorite sessions were the Keynotes, Doug McCune's sessions on being an independent Flex developer and open source Flex projects, Ben Stucki's 3D demos. The coolest demo by far was Joe Berkovitz's demo of a music editing application.

The best technical presentation was by John Wright on Building an iTunes-like Browser Component for Flex. I wasn't able to stay for the whole session because I had to catch a plane but he presented some good reasons for not using regular expressions in Flex. I plan on downloading the slides for this presentation and investigating further. Regular expressions are great but if the ideas he presented are faster then it's worth looking into.

Most of the presenters have posted their presentations on their blogs. The 360Flex Atlanta site has a link to these blogs.

The conference was great and I'll definitely go again.

No comments: